• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at a[email protected]

What It Is Really Like Being An AP/Honors Student

Briana Valdez, Staff Writer, Procrastinating Genius

When you hear about the Honors and AP kids, people automatically associate this group as nerds who love to spend their time studying and doing math for fun. While this may be the case for a few rare students, for the majority of us, taking such a heavy course load is a living nightmare. Parents are usually the ones who initially place their kids on the path to success, but that path is no longer a yellow brick road once the stress of high school kicks in. Nights are no longer open to just sit back and watch T.V. and Facetime your friends, unless you’re on a Facetime call talking about how you don’t understand Angular Momentum or gene linkage. Freshman year was a breeze regarding honors classes, but when you take your first AP class, you get your first taste of reality, in which you’re no longer able to procrastinate and finish your work the morning of or study in the hallway. If you want to pass the class, you’ll have to study effectively and pay attention in class, maybe even go to remedial. The workload is grueling and exams are stressful, but nonetheless, bad habits die hard.

From an outside perspective, one could assume that Honors and AP kids are the ones who are the most put together and stable, and most of them are. But then there are the students like me who spent New Year’s Day submitting all their college applications, and not until 11:59 PM, when they were due that day. So, to say that some of us procrastinate and are lazy is completely accurate. We will definitely wait until the last day to finish that 8 page paper, even though it was assigned two weeks prior. We will be up at 2am trying to teach ourselves physics in order to study for a test that everyone thinks we’re going to fail. 

This brings me to another topic. To think that all the supposed “intelligent kids” are getting consistently high grades is silly. Even the class genius will score their occasional 50 on a test, which is completely okay. Honors and AP kids probably drastically fail more than CP kids, but I guess you could consider it a blessing. According to our teachers, the more the mistakes we make, the more we are able to learn, and although we all say we hate our classes, there’s a secret. The secret that no one wants to admit, with a few exceptions, is that we actually love our classes, despite feeling idiotic at times and getting low grades. The idea of a challenge is exciting. Kids aren’t put into advanced classes because they’re smarter than others. Everyone is capable of brilliance, but only a select few actually want to try something that isn’t solved with a simple y=mx+b equation.

One of the beauties of being in AP class is the support group that comes with it. Every one of your classmates are going through the same struggle. The difficult challenges are what brings students together. My favorite part of being an AP student is that throughout all my four years, I’ve shared  so much with my fellow students. I have shared tears, anxiety, sleep deprivation, and low self esteem but I’ve also shared infinitely more laughs, happy dances after getting a good grade, and friendship with this amazing group of people.

What I am trying to say is that the stereotypical depiction of advanced kids is entirely wrong, a fact I’m glad is true, because we are so much more interesting than that. 

1 Comment

One Response to “What It Is Really Like Being An AP/Honors Student”

1. Raymond Burns on January 31st, 2018 12:13 pm

Nice article Briana! Physics sure does sound like a tough subject, hopefully someone knows that angular momentum stuff.

Totally agree with this analysis. I feel one of the biggest factors between AP & Honors compared to CP classes is the time management skills you need to have. 🙂

[Reply]

• What It Is Really Like Being An AP/Honors Student

Blogs

Down to Chill?

Blogs

Why Insurance Isn’t The Worst

Blogs

How To Handle Senioritis

Opinion

Can Gaming be a Sport?

Opinion

The Unknown Ocean

Blogs

Growing Apart

Opinion

Aliens are out There

• Opinion

Students and Earbuds

Opinion

Working Teenagers

Opinion

Humanities Are More Important Than STEM Classes