The Spotlight: Santiago Gurian

“Everything that is or was began with a dream” – The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl

More stories from Jayleen De La Cruz

Born in Colombia, Santiago, or Santi, is an admitted student at Princeton University where he will major in Chemical Engineering. Upon opening his decision letter Santiago said that the experience was surreal, “I opened the decision with my best friend in the room and we went wild, we both cried. It was unforgettable.” The acceptance letter to Santiago was a symbol of the hard work he put in order to excel in his classes. “I feel like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders, and it feels great having my hard work pay off.”

Santi chose Princeton to further pursue his studies due to its heavy undergraduate focus, and the resources at his disposal to further his research. He is looking forward to further delving into his passion for chemistry by stepping into some of the University’s renowned science labs that are available to students. “They have their own plasma lab, which I can’t wait to experience.”

After finishing college Santi plans to get his masters in Chemistry and travel to Europe to study Plasma. However, before he is off to start a new chapter in his life, Santi recalls his first years at Clifton High School. “I remember many nights in high school where I would stay up late thinking about how my goals were unrealistic, but with enough determination I was able to achieve more than I ever could. I wish I could go back and enjoy my time as a high schooler more, but then again everything happens for a reason”.