• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Earlier In, Earlier Out

Marvin Urias

More stories from Marvin Urias

Carlos Rodriguez
May 9, 2018

As a high school student, I despise getting up early as much as the next kid, but I’ve come to realize that it is helpful. The time that we get to school affects the time we get out of school, so the later we get in, the later we get out. I have two siblings, one whom goes to elementary school. My little brother is seven years old and in the second grade. He gets out at 3:15 pm every day on the dot and he goes in around 8:30. However, I go in at 7:29am and get out at 2:10 everyday. And everyday I pick him up from school.

The way the schedule of the elementary, middle, and high school is set up is for the students that have younger siblings to pick up after school. It takes me twenty-five minutes to walk from the high school to my brother’s school. With the forty minute window I have, I attend club meetings, work in the library, make up tests, etc. If I am not doing any of those things, I still have that window to go home and cook or relax for a bit before I have to start homework and clean, all while my parents are at work. 

Another positive to school starting earlier is that  school based sports take place after school. Our school competes with other schools in New Jersey. Imagine having a game an hour away, said game lasting for two hours, then still having to commute an hour back. That time adds up and if school starts later, these games will end later, and you’ll get home later. Also, practicing in the dark sounds awful. If we didn’t get out of school until, say, 4, then practice and/or games would not get us home until 7 or later, at which time we would still have to get home, do homework and eat dinner. It would leave no time for an after school job or a social life, so some kids would quit sports in order to balance all of these things. And forget sleep. You won’t get the recommended eight hours of sleep you need, you’ll get much less, especially the students in honors or AP classes.

Even though it is miserable to wake up early, it works out for us in the long run. Chances are that we will have to do it when we are adults and have jobs and responsibilities, so we might as well get used to it now.