We Are Forgetting To Live In The Moment

Jessica Rubio, Staff Writer

You just exchanged a priceless memory for a shaking video recording. Instead of living in the moment you were too focused on getting the perfect shot to share with your friends or save for the future. Looking back on the video, you can’t even make out the blurred figures. In today’s society we are too preoccupied trying to digitally capture the moment that we let it slip by.

A study conducted by a professor of psychology, Linda Henkel, found that a majority of people who took pictures at  museums remembered less than if they had just observed the artifacts. Rather than relying on their brain to store the memory, they hoped their cameras could do it for them. People are unable to remember their experiences without their phones helping them. Soon, we realize that we haven’t made a memory at all and have a photo instead.

Parents often miss valuable moments with their children, like watching them score their first goal because they are too busy recording. In the New York Times article, “Is it so bad to take so many pictures of my kid?”, Christina Cron reassures parents that taking photos is acceptable as kids naturally want to look at pictures of themselves. She mentions that parents must be aware of how their children interpret their judgements on appearances in photos. However, children should not see their parents emphasizing the picture over the moment. Philippe Rochat, professor of psychology, believes the trend can be slowed if parents do not obsess with the camera and teach their children why we take photos. With the video always on record, we forget to live in the present and appreciate what is in front of us.

Instead of wasting precious memories behind a camera lens, let’s put the camera aside and enjoy the now. The moments captured digitally are not remembered as vividly, or simply remembered, in comparison to those where we are fully present.