Clifton Students and Teachers Mourn the Death of Mr. Steven Meck

Mr. Meck dressed as Rick from Rick and Morty.

On a “Fantastic Friday”, the Clifton High School community lost one of its most beloved teachers.

Steven Meck, 35, was an extremely talented and passionate honors and AP Biology teacher here at Clifton High School.

Although only a fraction of Clifton students had him as a teacher, he was very well known because of his wild Halloween costumes and his passion for biology. Most importantly however, Mr. Meck was known and loved by everyone because of of his giant heart and love for his students.

“To me he was a lot more than a teacher, he was one of the few people in my high school career that made me feel respected and like an actual person instead of just another student,” one Clifton AP biology student said.

“He was a great guy and one of the most inspirational people in my life. I miss him everyday, and I know he changed my life for the better.”

Graduating from Gloucester Catholic High School in 2001, Rutgers University In 2005, and receiving his masters from Montclair State University, Mr. Meck was an expert in his field. Through his unique approach to teaching using activities such as songwriting, distinct labs, and entertaining projects, Mr. Meck was able to deliver the most complex topics to his students in ways that were simply fun.

“Going into high school I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life but he changed all that freshman year when he showed me our first lesson on genetics. It was because of him that I finally knew what I wanted to study for the rest of my life,”  Kris Freyland, one of his freshman and later AP students, said.

Because of his tremendous impact, Mr. Meck will forever be remembered within the Clifton Community, and within his students’ hearts in a world where ‘entropy synchronizes with life’. Thanks to him, his students fully understand the highly complicated qualities of life, and their intrinsic randomness.

The funeral will be held Friday, May 17th, from 9 to 11 a.m. at McGuinness Funeral Home, 573 Egg Harbor Road, Sewell. Internment will be private by the request of the family.

Memorial contributions may be made to South Jersey Regional Animal Shelter 1244 N. Delsea Drive, Vineland, NJ 08360, or by visiting southjerseyregionalanimalshelter.org