• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

AP Test Advice!

Samantha Zakrzewski, Writer/Editor

The gloomy winter snow has melted away and the bright spring flowers have bloomed. While many people are embracing this newly warm weather, many high schoolers are barricading themselves in their rooms with their AP Test Prep books as these tests take place this week and next week. To those of you who find yourselves stressing out over these exams, here’s some advice:

1. Don’t Overstress!
    1. While this piece of advice may seem obvious, many AP students fail to take it seriously. During the final days before their test, AP students tend to fret over their exams by excessively taking practice exams and re-reading materials. While it’s smart to look over your notes, don’t overwork yourself. Not only that, but if you stress on the day of your exam, you may forget certain facts, materials, topics, terms, etc.  
  2. Sleep!
    1. One of the worst things that you can do before taking your exam is pull an all nighter. Your mind and body need to rest up and energize, which you can’t do if you’re crouched over your AP prep book at 3:00 AM. Sleep will help relax your body, which will, in turn, allow you to recall more information when you wake up and take your exam.
  3. Don’t Cram!
    1. For those of you who haven’t been studying for your exams since early in the year, don’t try and cram in as much information as possible in these last few days before the exam. Rather than help you, cramming only hinders your performance as the information is stored only in your short term memory. Try skimming over your notes- you know more than you think!
  4. Eat Right
    1. Believe it or not, eating certain foods can help boost your performance on the day of the exam. Some foods that you may want to eat/drink are eggs, beans, fresh fruits and vegetables, pecans, whole grains, and, of course, water.
  5. Bring a Snack on the Day of the Test
    1. If your school allows it, definitely make sure to bring water and a snack on the day of the test. Most AP tests have a break in which you’re allowed to eat. By doing so, you’re fueling your body after exerting a lot of energy on the exam.

Hopefully this advice offers some comfort to those of you fretting over your exams. Just remember to take a deep breath and calm down as you’re more than ready to ace your exam!