The Importance of Student Athletes Eating Healthy in School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lindsay Juranich, Writer

As a student athlete, healthy meals are crucial. Students spend the evening studying and are concerned about their grades and not what they’re putting into their bodies. As they concern themselves with tests and homework, they often drop their lunch period, skipping the time that they’d use to fuel their body. As one of those students, I have the solution to this problem.

The importance of eating healthy at lunch benefits not only the body, but also the mind. Students need to take the time to consider this during their school day.  Packing a lunch with protein and carbs will give the students energy and brain power. Making time at night or early morning to pack healthy snacks and lunch is important. This should be emphasised to students by physical education teachers and parents. As a two sport varsity athlete and AP student who dropped her lunch, I make sure I pack fresh fruit, such as raspberries and blueberries to eat throughout the day. I also have small bags of carrots and granola bars for additional brainfood, which makes me feel more alert during the day. As it may be tempting and convenient to pack chips from home or buy them in school, they are fattening and will not provide the energy that athletes need for long practices and strenuous games.   

Along with eating healthy, you must hydrate continually throughout the day and during practices/ games. It is important to do this daily, before and after sports. It is recommended that the average person drinks at least 64 ounces of water per day. With our demanding schedules, athletes should drink about a liter more per day, due to the fact that we lose more liquid through sweating. To make up for the loss from sweating, I also bring Gatorade, which contains sodium and electrolytes, to refuel my body after a workout.

By teaching student athletes at a young age to take care of their bodies, they will be less injury prone and feel stronger during sports. This healthy lifestyle should be easy and attainable with help from parents and educators. Students are young and require the guidance, motivation, and attention from adults in order to regiment this routine for a lifetime of good habits and healthy eating.