• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

3314 Prepares for Kickoff!

Back to Article
Back to Article

3314 Prepares for Kickoff!

Murad Arslaner, Mr.Roboto

CHS’s robotics team, the Mechanical Mustangs, is ready to head into deep space this year and has done much to prepare for the oncoming build and competition season.

The Mechanical Mustangs began the year with a bang by participating in the annual club fair. After last year’s success in the recruitment and participation of underclassmen, the robotics team was eager to continue the trend. With a robot on display and knowledgeable sophomores and seniors to entice other students, many new freshmen were interested and brought in to learn the ropes.

The award winning robot has also been showcased throughout the local elementary schools these past months and is still making its rounds up until this December. Fourth and fifth graders from all over the district have been given the opportunity to learn about the robot and drive it. If you have a younger brother or sister, we encourage you to tag along and take a look during these STEM nights.

In the beginning of November, the Mechanical Mustangs took a trip to Ambler, PA to compete in an offseason event, Ramp Riot. Although ultimately unsuccessful due to unforeseen technical complications, there was a lot to learn for the upperclassmen for the coming build season and it was a great introduction for freshmen to how the long-term robotics experience is really like at times.

The team, with help from the Montclair Society of Engineers, has also set up and hosted inside our high school a LEGO robotics tournament for middle schoolers this past Saturday. These teams, also part of the same robotics organization called FIRST but taking part in a different and more simple game, competed for a chance to qualify for states.

The Mechanical Mustangs are also hosting kickoff this year inside our high school. Kickoff is the first Saturday of January and is the time where the new game for the year is introduced to teams worldwide. The team also hosted last year’s kickoff but was forced to relocate the event the day of kickoff because of a snowstorm.

With less than seven weeks to go until the beginning of a stressful two months of designing, building, and coding and another two months of intense competition, the Mechanical Mustangs have started strong and plan on staying that way. The team is still accepting new members. If you want to join, see Ms. Dituri in C108 for information. Good luck, Mechanical Mustangs!