• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Are you Hopeful About the Future?

Nada Awadalla, Editor

The modern form of humans evolved only about 200,000 years ago. When taken in the context of the Earth’s colossal 5 billion years of life, humans appear to be rather petty. What is puzzling however, is that how can beings so insignificant and instantaneous leave such fatal long lasting effects on a an entire planet. Humans, a mere 0.01% of all life on Earth, have managed to annihilate 83% of wild mammals. Whether through destruction of wild habitat, farming, or livestock, human activity has had a major helping hand in what scientists believe to be the sixth mass extinction since the history of the Earth.

So how can I be hopeful about the future after constantly reading all these devastating facts? I mean, people are getting stupider, overconsumption is apparently not enough, and artificial intelligence is totally about to take over the world (cough, cough…. Mark Zuckerberg). The Earth is just going to hell, isn’t it? Well, not entirely…..

As humans we have a tendency to pick out the negatives of our current situation and only  remember the positives of the past. If I had a nickel for each time someone compared ‘the horrid’ conditions and attitudes of the world today with the ‘simplicity, and ‘kindness’ of the past, well let’s just say I would be pretty rich. And let’s not forget these are usually the same people who may have survived through world wars, mass genocides, atomic bombs, the spanish flu, and Nickelback. Compare that to the rise of terrorist attacks, 2007 financial crisis, and the Kardashians of the 21st century. All extremely tragic and devastating, but nonetheless we can clearly see that humanity is actually starting to very slowly improve.

The quality of education has massively increased within the past century and with it the average IQ scores. Recognition of universal human rights, gender equality, and genuine cooperation between nations around the globe are improving and gaining acceptance each day. Just look at Paris’s stance on climate change. In addition to that, one of the only things providing a glimmer of hope for our survival is our recognition of problems and attempts to solve them. Of course, not every solution may be right and a few certain problems may even divide humans on how to approach them, but we are trying. Our world is not perfect, however it is changing for the better.

So, am I hopeful for the future? Well, I believe it is all in our hands now to somehow make sense of the entropy that surrounds us, and try to organize it to the best of our abilities. I don’t have faith in every human being (again the Kardashians), but I do believe that humanity will be able to pull through in the future as long as it keeps trying.