• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Advice From A Senior: Jobs

Ilona Soltys, Editor

It’s almost like a right of passage when you enter high school to take a step forward towards adolescence and start earning money for yourself by getting a job.  Coming from someone who has had to juggle school work, AP classes, after school activities, clubs, family time, and friends, all while sprinting down the streets of Wallington, while trying to tie my hair up in a perfect ponytail and plaster that “Hi-I’ll-Be-Your-Waitress-Today-How-Can-I-Help-You” smile on my face..it’s not easy. At all.

I know once you become a teenager, everyone is on your tail about growing up and finding a job in order to save your money but, my best advice, is make sure you’re ready. Everyone matures at different rates and handles responsibilities at different extremes. If getting a job means that you’re going to slack off in something that’s important to you, like school or time spent with your family, it’s not worth risking. Make sure you’re getting a job because you want it and you’re responsible enough to come in on time and stick to your schedule, not because Jenny from English just started working at Forever 21 and she gets a “totally sick” 21% discount on all accessories including shoes, hats, and jewelry. Don’t be pressured in doing something you aren’t ready to commit to.

Now if you do decide that a job is the right thing for you, try and look for one that you know you’ll be good at. I know it sounds obvious, “why would you do something you’re bad at?,”  but for example, if you get anxiety talking to people, maybe don’t apply for that waitressing job. If you like to keep things organized and don’t mind answering phone calls, look into desk jobs, like a secretary for a company. With that being said, you’re not going to like everything you have to do, so don’t be afraid to go out and try new things. Once you do start earning money, understand that it’s not a bad idea to put some away into your savings account or even hide it away for a rainy day. Senior year comes with a lot of exciting opportunities but, it also comes with a lot of costs. You have senior dues and prom expenses which can, wellover, put you at more than $100 of dues you need to pay. Be smart about your money.

Another big piece of advice I have is to not be afraid to talk to your boss. If you disclose to your boss that you’re a student who needs to keep their grades up, they’ll be understanding. Make sure to tell them whether or not your hours are flexible and be clear about the days and times you work. Things also come up all the time so, if one day you get bombarded with three tests you have to study for the next day, talk to your boss and see if you can leave an hour or two earlier. Even if your boss doesn’t seem like the nicest person, it’s always worth a shot. When in doubt, if even talking to your boss doesn’t work out, bring your notebooks to work and when things are slow or you have a break, try studying.

I know that high school isn’t easy and the last thing you might want to do is juggle a job on top of everything else you’re trying to prepare for, and that’s totally fine. Don’t force yourself to get a job if you’re not ready but, if you are, you’ll get the hang of things and it’ll be okay. Good Luck!