• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

The Senior Class of 2019 Part 1: Future Aspirations

Ilona Soltys, Editor

Ever since we were little rugrats, carrying our favorite television character on our lunch boxes and running around the blacktop, playing, what seemed like, the most intense game of kickball,  we’ve all had a dream of what we wanted to do when we “grew up.” Graduating as a senior and walking down the field in that maroon cap and gown can be considered the first step to adulthood or, in more popular terms, “the beginning of the rest of our lives,” but before we can do that, each student must make a very important decision on where that next step will be.   

With every deadline the Class of 2019 has creeping around the corner, May 1st, or National Decision Day, is definitely one that every soon-to-be graduate is looking forward to. This is the day everyone wears a hoodie, way too warm for New Jersey’s May weather, with the name of their committed college stitched proudly to the front. After all the sleepless nights filled with stress, cramming, and the occasional tear here and there, it’ll finally all fall into place.

An important piece of truth that students tend to overlook is the fact that, sometimes, you don’t always end up where your eight year old self thought you would be and that’s completely okay. You tend to grow up and change a lot as a person in those ten years. It’s completely okay to not be a 4.0 student graduating with a Law Degree from Harvard or a Pre-Med student stepping out of the doors of Cornell University.

This two part article is being written to showcase the inevitable change the Class of 2019 is bound to go through and to show that even if you don’t end up at that school plastered all over your vision board, you will still be successful and happy wherever life takes you. With the thoughts of college bombarding seniors’ brains, here are some of the schools that the 2019 Seniors see themselves at, as of September 2018:

Adrian Aguirre: Passaic County Community College, Majoring in Finance

Roberth Albarran: Bergen County Community College, Majoring in Business

Nada Awadalla: Dartmouth University, Majoring in Economics

Kevin Bartko: Rutgers University, Majoring in Business Management

Omar El-Zaghah: New Jersey Institute of Technology,  Majoring in Mechanical Engineering

Jazmin Fernandez: Seton Hall University, Majoring in Nursing

Melanie Flores: Harvard University, Majoring in Pre-Med

Jette Galura: Rutgers-New Brunswick, Majoring in their Pharmaceutical Program

Marina Gerollari: New York University, Majoring in Biochemistry

Maria Guerrero: New York University, Double Major in Political Science and Psychology

David Hoffman: Rutgers University, Majoring in their Pharmaceutical Program

Tuba Karacay: Hofstra University, Majoring in Public Relations with a Minor in Marketing

Ava Khalil: Montclair State University/ Rutgers University, Majoring in Political Science

Patrick Kobylarz: Seton Hall University/ Rutgers University/ Stevens Institute of Technology, Majoring in Computer Science/ Business Management

Nikola Kubacka: Seton Hall University, Majoring in Biology

Akefia Morgan: Undecided school, Majoring in Nursing with a continuation in Pre-Med  and to become a Pediatrician

Brianna Morrison: Undecided school, Majoring in Biology with a concentration on Pre-Med

Diego Ordonez: Pennsylvania State University, Majoring in Pre-Med

Abdellatif Rahmoun: Rutgers/ New Jersey Institute of Technology, Undecided

Krunal Rana: New York University / Columbia, Double Major in pursuing the careers of Director and Doctor

Payal Rana: Undecided school, Majoring in Biology

Wiktoria Skrzycka: University of Wrocław in Poland, Majoring in Astrophysics

Gail Tajanlangit: Fashion Institute of Technology, Majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications

Marvin Urias: Fairleigh Dickinson, Majoring in Graphic Design

Samantha Zakrzewski: Pennsylvania State University, Majoring in Psychology

Let’s not forget that going to college after high school isn’t the only option students have. Senior Ashley Goris is planning on enlisting into her branch choice of the Army after graduation.  She is going into Active Duty for a total of six years and already began her recruitment process in January/February of 2018. Although she doesn’t have doubts about her choice, and is set because she likes having a plan and knowing where she will be during those six years, she does admit that she does get scared thinking about her future. She worries about how her choice will affect her relationship with her family and that she will turn into a completely different person.

Senior Chris DeJesus is enlisting after graduation and he says he doesn’t “really have any doubts about himself going because (he) knows this is something (he) wants” and he’s willing to push himself to any length to get it. His recruitment process started in June of 2018 and his chosen branch is the Marine Corps.

Elisa Mills’ decision was rooted in her family’s legacy. Though her parents were enlisted, Elisa decided to take the path towards the military academy in order to fulfill her goal in being a officer. “Officers are generally employed in management roles or highly specialized fields that require professional degrees (e.g., doctors, lawyers and chaplains). An officer’s education often determines which career he or she will have in the Military” (Today’s Military). Elisa has been a part of the high school MCJROTC for her entire four years at Clifton High, even though, at first, she “didn’t want anything to do with the military.” As she began getting more involved, she started to enjoy the program more and more. Her application process started in the Summer of 2018 and she is currently trying to get her congressional nomination.