• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Are Future Teachers Doomed?

young man feeling stressed   Original Filename: 88390374.jpg

Getty

young man feeling stressed Original Filename: 88390374.jpg

Lisbeth Cedano, staff writer

Are Future Teachers Doomed?

“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”  
                                                                      – Confucius

Teachers salary range from states. Based on a USA Today article, New York, Connecticut and California are the top paying states for teachers in the United States. But what about the other states? Will people still want to become teachers in the other states? Are people still wanting to become teachers?

In this generation, Teachers are not being as “glamorized” as it used to be. Back then if you told someone that you are a teacher or want to be one, they would acknowledge or accept your wise decision and had respect. However if you told that to someone now, then it would be perceived as not reaching your full potential. If a student got a bad grade, the parents will talk to their kids and talk one on one with the teachers. Fast forward present day and you will find parents blaming the teachers for their child’s behavior problems or bad grade.

Based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics, elementary teachers are projected to grow 7 percent from 2016 to 2026, middle school teachers 8 percent, high school teachers 8 percent and college postsecondary teacher 15 percent. Although the growth is as fast as the other average careers, not many people want to become teachers, and the people who already are teachers have a fear of losing their jobs and being unable to find another one because of how few opportunities 

there are. Teachers use to have more respect and authority, however times have changed.They are being paid very little for more work, and therefore often need a second job to support themselves. Some have to continue going to school to get a higher degree and get paid more. Most students would rather pick a job that they do not enjoy that pays well rather than a job that they enjoy but doesn’t pay much. So if no one wants to be a teacher, then who will be?

Teachers do more than teach. People do not realize that they make an impact in students lives. They teach the next generation, they are a person that you can talk to and they are a positive role model for students. Not many people have the patience or skills to become a teacher, which in fine. However those of us who do, do not want to become just an “educator”, or a “teacher” because people would look down on us. There are people who have a passion for teaching or mentoring kids, teens or adults, but they are too afraid to pursue. I am here to tell you that you should. You must follow your passion or calling, no matter what.

I know I wanted to become a teacher since I was at a young age. However, as I got older I kept changing my mind. Going from doctor, to nurse, to lawyer, back to teacher, to veterinary, and back to teacher. I wanted a job that would give me tons of money, but I knew deep down that I wanted to become a teacher. Now when people ask me what I want to be when I grow up, I always say teacher. Even though some people say that I am “wasting my time”, I know that I will be doing what I love; even if the pay is not the greatest.