• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Why Insurance Isn’t The Worst

Nicole Bonnell, Staff Writer

Sometime during one’s high school career, most students will get their license and if they’re lucky enough, be able to get their own car. Not only does this come with the responsibilities of the road, but insurance is an essential part of the whole process. One other thing that comes with driving is the freedom, the independence. I get it, you want to be independent and have your own insurance policy and be completely self reliant, but here is why that is not the best idea.

The thing with auto insurance is that the premium is completely dependent on you- what kind of car do you drive? Where do you drive it to? Where do you live? How old are you? Things like that. If your parents have their own insurance, adding a car and driver to the policy shouldn’t increase it more than a few hundred for the year, of which you can pay the difference. However getting your own policy, even if it’s just for liability, can cost you over $2,000 for the year. At the end of the day, being added to someone else’s policy is better for you because of the money. Why pay thousands when you could be paying hundreds? Not only that, but you could receive more coverage for a lower cost. Imagine a world where you’re paying more for less coverage on your own rather than being added to someone’s policy and paying less for more coverage.

Now some parents do not want to add their children to their policy. What I’d recommend is having a professional speak to them about it and have them explain the money that would ultimately be saved. When the information is coming from someone working in that field, it sounds more reliable and true. If that’s something that just isn’t possible for you, here’s the best thing you can do.

Get as many quotes as you can and go with the cheapest. Don’t just go by the commercials you see, check google reviews and yelp for insurance agencies in your area and give them a call, they can quote you with multiple different companies and will go over each individual quote with you. Do this with a couple of different places and then go with the best offer presented to you.

I wish you luck on your new adulthood journey!