• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Growing Apart

Serena Helwani, Staff Writer

I bet everyone has experienced this situation at least ONCE in their lives. You meet someone who you instantly click with, they laugh at all your jokes, you listen to each other’s problems, you get food together and listen to each other’s favorite music. You create a bond, an attachment, making it harder and harder to spend a day without this individual. Days, weeks, months, maybe even years have gone by and the cords supporting your friendship or relationship are still holding up strong. Then, you begin to see a crack or two in the mirror that once represented your seemingly perfect relationship with this person. Minuscule issues turn into full blown arguments, hurting both you and them. One of you feels more invested than the other, and your life begins to feel more negative with the other in it. The jokes don’t help, the food isn’t good anymore, your music tastes have changed. So what happens now, do you walk away from a relationship that’s bringing you down, or do you stay and try to work out this broken mess?

The reality is, relationships and friendships like these are completely toxic. You might feel obligated to stay and work things out because of history, or the remaining love. Think about this, would you keep watering a plant that’s already run its course, and stopped growing? What would the point of that be? It’s completely deteriorating and exhausting to try and make something work when the pieces simply don’t fit together anymore. This is especially common in high school, when we are constantly changing and going down alternate paths from those we were once close to. Sometimes a friend might be drawn into a certain crowd you’re not comfortable with, or you become interested in a subject that your friend has no interest in whatsoever, high school truly does put things into perspective and if you let it, it could transform you into the individual you’ve always dreamed of being, even if that transformation takes you farther away from someone you’ve been within reach of for so long. People change, situations change, and friendships end. Embrace the unfamiliarity of new people and situations.