• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Students For Changes

On February 14th 2018, 19 year old Nikolas Cruz opened fire at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. He took the lives of 17 innocent people while wounding countless others, and left hidden scars that will remain permanent on the lives of the Marjory’s High School student body and staff. Although their lives were changed forever, the students were not left without a voice. They decided to take matters into their own hands.

Students For Changes is a non-profit organization that was formed to create a platform for students where they could share their opinions on gun reform, mental health, and school safety issues. The topics of gun reform relate to covering the issues of gun safety and how new legislation affects students. Mental health expands upon an understanding of the risks students face in our school systems and how they are affected, while school safety discussions put school security guidelines on the table that help protect students.

The founders, Jack Macleod, Isabella Pfeiffer, and Connor Dietrich are all survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. These students joined together because they want to ensure a nationwide campaign that is dedicated to helping students gain a voice and have the power to speak up. The main goal of Students For Changes is to help schools nationwide allow their student body to speak their minds, as well as engage in discussion that could lead to change.

They have also begun the process of becoming a Florida Nonprofit Corporation under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This would help the students raise money to support other organizations that are working together to reach the same goal.

To take action at Clifton High School, Students for Changes encourages you to contact them so they help organize a chapter. You can email the Students on their website, “www.StudentsForChanges.org” under their “Contact” tab. The website also provides additional information on the movement, as well as how to get more involved.

“We’re only doing what should be done. We’re doing what our elected legislatures should have done for us. We are doing what the older generation should have done, so what happened on the 14th was prevented. We stand for change. We are a generation of change. And this is only the beginning.” -Amanda De La Cruz, 16, a survivor of the Stoneman Douglas shooting.