• September 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• September 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Ms. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Remembering the 17

Stephany Jaramillo, Editor

February 14, 2018.

A day supposed to celebrate love and friendship, will now be remembered as the day the World lost a staggering 17 people, in yet another school mass shooting.Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School serves more than 3,200 students in ninth through 12th grade as part of the sixth largest school district in the U.S. The school was also the 18th school impacted by a shooting this year, inciting a movement of High School students taking action for their lost classmates saying #NeverAgain and #Rememberthe17. Their advocacy group called Never Again MSD insighted Florida Legislature to pass a bill to raise the minimum age for buying rifles to 21, establish waiting periods and background checks, provide a program for the arming of some teachers and the hiring of school police, ban bump stocks, and bar potentially violent or mentally unhealthy people arrested under certain laws from possessing guns. In all, it allocates around $400 million.

Today we experiencing the worst of humanity as an unspeakable tragedy has hit our schools family at Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS,” -Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie 

As a fellow student and older sister, I ask for action among my classmates. I ask to remember the victims not for what they went through ,but for what these people were; Alive, Beautiful and Thriving. To not Let them not be another statistic, or passing news, but to use their experience to inspire difference.  To make a change.

“To let these victims’ lives be taken without any change in return is an act of treason to our great country.” Lorenzo Prado, Parkland school shooting survivor

The 17 Parkland Victims 

Alyssa Alhadeff, 14

A student at Stoneman Douglas and soccer player for Parkland Travel Soccer.
Lori Alhadeff, Alyssa’s mother, dropped her daughter off at school Wednesday and said, “I love you.” When the mother heard about the shooting, she hustled to school, but was too late.
“I knew at that point she was gone. I felt it in my heart,” she said. “Alyssa was a beautiful, smart, talented, successful, awesome, amazing soccer player. You’ll be greatly missed, Alyssa.”

Scott Beigel, 35

A geography teacher, tried to usher students back into his classroom when the shooting broke out.

Kelsey, one of Beigel’s students, explained that he was shot outside the classroom door and that he saved her life. “Mr. Beigel was my hero and he still will forever be my hero. I will never forget the actions that he took for me and for fellow students in the classroom,” she said. “I am alive today because of him.”

Martin Duque Anguiano, 14

Talked about by his brother Miguel as a “very funny kid, outgoing, and sometimes really quiet. He was sweet and caring and loved by all his family.” Miguel further explains that his”family has no words to describe the event that has happened on this date, all my prayers to the lost ones”

Nicholas Dworet, 17

17-year-old senior, had been recruited for the University of Indianapolis swim team and would have been an incoming freshman this fall.

“Nick’s death is a reminder that we are connected to the larger world, and when tragedy hits in places around the world, it oftentimes affects us at home,” said Robert L. Manuel, University of Indianapolis president.

Aaron Feis, 37

Feis, an assistant football coach, threw himself in front of students to protect them from oncoming bullets, and died after he was rushed into surgery.

“He died the same way he lived — he put himself second,” she said. “He was a very kind soul, a very nice man. He died a hero.” –  Lehtio the football program spokeswomen

Jaime Guttenberg, 14

“My heart is broken. Yesterday, Jennifer and I lost our baby girl to a violent shooting at her school. We lost our daughter and my son Jesse lost his sister.I am broken as I write this trying to figure out how my family gets through this. We appreciate all of the calls and messages and we apologize for not reacting to everyone individually,” adding to “Hug and hold your children tight.” -Jamie’s father

Chris Hixon, 49

School’s athletic director, wrestling coach, husband, father and proud American.

Widow Debra recalls how Hixon thought as”Every one of those students as his own kid,” How he would give students rides or lunch money and, if they needed it, open up his home to them. “He just loved being around kids and giving back to the community.”

Luke Hoyer, 15

Janice Stroud, Lucas grandmother and grandfather explained how “We kept hoping they would find him wandering around in shock, By 7 o’clock, I said, ‘I don’t like this. This is not good,’ ” and that by “1 a.m. the police said Luke was among the students that had been killed.”

Described as “a good kid. He … never got in trouble” and “an amazing individual. Always happy, always smiling. His smile was contagious, and so was his laugh.”

Cara Loughran, 14

“Cara was a beautiful soul and always had a smile on her face,” the dance studio Cara used to dance at said in a statement. “We are heartbroken as we send our love and support to her family during this horrible time.”

“RIP Cara, and fly with the angels. You will be greatly missed, and we will always love you and celebrate your beautiful life.”

Gina Montalto, 14

A member of the winter guard, marching band, and described as “the sweetest soul ever.”

The Winter Guard International mourned her death Thursday, saying, “Unfortunately, one of the victims in yesterday’s St. Valentine’s Day Massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School was a member of the school’s winter guard.”No student should ever go to school afraid,” the group said.

Joaquin Oliver, 17

Born in Venezuela, Joaquin moved to the United States when he was 3 and became a naturalized citizen in 2017. A fan of football, basketball, the Venezuelan national soccer team, urban graffiti and hip-hop. Friends came out to write their goodbyes saying “Thanks for the memories. See you soon. Rest in peace,” and “Wish I had taken the bullet for you.”

Alaina Petty, 14

Described by her family as vibrant and determined, and charitable. Volunteering after Hurricane Irma hit Florida in September. “Alaina loved to serve,” and was also a part of the “Helping Hands” program. Her family adds that”While we will not have the opportunity to watch her grow up and become the amazing woman we know she would become, we are keeping an eternal perspective.”

Meadow Pollack, 18

Accepted at Lynn University and described by their spokesperson as “a lovely young woman, full of energy. We were very much looking forward to having her join our community in the fall.”
Friend GII Lovito wrote “Please say a prayer for the family of an amazing girl I gotta call my best friend growing up Meadow Pollack … her life was taken way too soon and I have no words to describe how this feels. Rest In Peace my beautiful angel.” others “You are and forever will be loved.”

Helena Ramsay, 17

Family member, Curtis Page Jr. writes “My family lost an absolutely beautiful member today, due to a senseless school shooting,” adding how”Helena was a smart, kind hearted, and thoughtful person. She was deeply loved and loved others even more so. Though she was somewhat reserved, she had a relentless motivation towards her academic studies, and her soft warm demeanor brought the best out in all who knew her. She was so brilliant and witty, and I’m still wrestling with the idea that she is actually gone.” Page hopes others can be inspired by Helena’s “life well lived, no matter how short.”

Alex Schachter, 14

Marching band and orchestra member , Alex has a go-fund me page set up “In an effort to continue his memory, a scholarship is being created to help other students experience the joys of music as well as fund increased security at schools. Please help keep Alex’s spirit alive,”

Carmen Schentrup, 16

A National Merit Scholar semifinalist, who was mourned in the community and on social media. Classmate Ariana Ortega told lawmakers in Tallahassee that “She was a National Merit finalist, but unfortunately the letter arrived in the mail the day after she passed, so she never knew that,” adding that “She was going to change the world, and I’m sure of that. But she doesn’t have the chance now,” Others took to twitter saying “Rest In Peace Carmen Schentrup,” and “You family is forever in my thoughts and prayers. I’m so sorry.”

Peter Wang, 15

Member of the junior ROTC program, who was shot while holding a door open to allow fellow classmates get to safety. Thousands of people have signed a White House petition asking for him to be buried with military honors.”His selfless and heroic actions have led to the survival of dozens in the area.” Kelsey a close friend said she “started screaming and crying” when she found out about his death by looking at images on Google of those who had died.”It’s hard to not have him in the hallways anymore because me and him used to laugh with each other. He used to make me smile. And now he’s gone.”

Levenson, Eric. “These are the victims of the Florida school shooting.” CNN, Cable News Network, 21 Feb. 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/us/florida-shooting-victims-school/index.html.