• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Working Teenagers

Many students attending high school feel the pressures of trying to balance both their jobs, and schoolwork. Having a job is something that many kids have to do, or want to do, because of their own expenses and because they feel uncomfortable asking parents for money. That was just the case for me. When I turned 16 I started looking for a job, but it’s not that I needed one because my mom always provided me with everything I could have asked for. However, I felt that it would better if I started to pay for the little things. For example, if I wanted to go to the movies or out to eat with friends, I would use the money I earned instead of my mother’s.

Having a job at a young age allows for teenagers to develop a sense of discipline and responsibility. Even though working comes with many positive aspects, it can get difficult when you try to balance both school and work. When I started working, I would start of my morning with a full day of school, and then going straight to work after, when I wanted nothing more to just go home and have a relaxing day. However, that’s not the case. I go to school, work, do any homework I’d have, study for any tests, and then go straight to sleep only to have to do it all over again the next day. In the end, I know that having been able to work at a young age will do a lot for me in the future. All anyone needs to do is work hard in whatever they’re passionate about, at both work and school, and you can get where you want to be in life.