Humanities Are More Important Than STEM Classes

Serena Helwani, Staff Writer

“We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.” This is my favorite quote from the iconic Robin Williams.

Let me ask you some things. When have you ever come across a situation that required you to know the pythagorean theorem? When have you ever been in a situation that required you to know the chemical formula for glucose? Do you ever wake up in the morning and think about photosynthesis? Are these all concepts you need to go about your day, or even your life? I don’t think so.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Lord of the Flies, or The Catcher in the Rye are just a few works of important literature we read in high schools up to date. I can honestly say I am able to name hundreds of lessons I have learned growing up from books. They offer an escape, they helped me explore the world without setting a foot outside of my house. For example, reading Lord of the Flies sophomore year taught me a lesson about savagery and maturity that I can never forget. Reading Eleanor and Park eased my very first broken heart. Reading Looking for Alaska, taught me about mental illness. I could name a thousand books with a thousand different morals to the stories. Reading books, especially books with historical backgrounds, teaches society everything they need to know about humanity. I can not stress enough how important it is that the past gets passed on through writing. Reading makes the world a better place altogether, it could even save lives.

I don’t think I have ever known a more enlightening feeling than deciphering a piece of confusing artwork. Like seriously- what on Earth was Mona Lisa thinking about in that painting? Why does she look like that? What’s up with that starry night painting? What does it mean? Everyone can interpret art in their very own way, and that’s what makes it so beautiful. It can mean one thing to a person, and a completely different thing to another. Creativity is what keeps the world going.

So think about Robin William’s quote, and think about what is really important. Will Algebra teach you your morals? Will biology have any effect on the way you live your life? What is the REAL impact of humanity classes on your life?