• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Music Review: Eminem: Revival

Amanda Costa, Staff Writer, Music Lover

That’s right, Slim Shady is back again!  His new album Revival was released on December 15, 2017.  It’s been a little over four years since we received the last album from Em which was The Marshall Mathers PT 2.  Many were stoked upon hearing about this epic comeback from one of the arguably best rappers of all time.  With Revival, Em delivers us a drastic turn from the course we were used to being on while listening to his previous albums.  On this record, Eminem takes a deep dive into his soul while rapping  about the current state of politics, and more personal topics, like his own self doubt and regrets.  This is not the upbeat, confident Slim Shady most of us are familiar with. It’s a stark contrast, this focus on his vulnerability. However, it is fascinating to hear him speak his mind on these matters so we, the listener, better understands and appreciates where he’s coming from.  

There are some popular musicians that feature in the new album, such as Beyonce, Ed Sheeran, P!nk and Alicia Keys.  One of the most popular songs on the track, “Walk on Water” features Beyonce.   In this song, Eminem raps about his how successful he was with his debut album, then in contrast,  how the expectations were set so high for him that he will never be as big as he once was.  It is clear that Marshall is unsure and distressed about his career at this point as he raps “If you are trying to trying to strip me of my confidence, mission accomplished.”  Sounds like Em can use a hug and a confident boost.  Though this negative attitude seems to signal the end, he optimistically states “But I’ll decide if it’s my final bow this time around,” hinting that he may not be ready to go out yet. Fingers crossed everybody!

Eminem also raps about his views on the political state of our country is.  He is definitely not afraid to speak his mind about this topic.  One of the songs where the political aspect is most prevalent in is “Like Home.”  In this song, Em takes jabs at the President, Donald Trump, by rapping about his strong opinions and disagreements he has with his actions.  Some other songs on the track list that involve political views are “Framed,” “Nowhere Fast,” and “Untouchable.”   This topic is not so common in most rap songs today which is one of the many reasons why this album unique.  There is a lot of depth and passion filled with exciting twists and turns throughout the album and is definitely worth a listen. If you are a fan of Eminem, you won’t be disappointed!