• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Being An Adult is So Much Harder Than Being A Teenager

Andrea Miller-Hamilton, Hub Adviser, English Teacher, Alleged Adult

According to the numbers on my drivers license, I am an adult. As an adult, I am here to tell you that being an adult is far more complex than being a teenager. I’m not saying that I don’t understand your plight. I do, very well, because I was once a teenager. I get it.  I also acknowledge your point that life will be easier once you have freedom and income. This is valid. However, someone who knew what they were talking about once said that with great freedom comes great responsibility.  The funny thing about responsibility is that it sure does put a damper on that whole freedom malarky.

Sure, your first taste of adulthood will be sweet. You live on your own! No one tells you what to do! Your time is yours! But the part that is always left out here is that you now have to do your own laundry. You have to cook your own dinner. You need to pay your own bills because without electricity and internet, there will not be the opportunity to binge watch Friends for 10 hours. Even this can be ok at first, but after a few days of “recycling” underthings, eating cereal for every meal, and stealing your neighbors wi-fi while shivering under a blanket, you will start to miss the creature comforts that used to be provided without your input.

Then there is working. Sure, having your own money is awesome. No one yells at you when you waste your hard earned cash on a glittery unicorn phone case and headphones that make you look like a cat. That should be reason enough to like this working thing, but then there is the actual doing the work part. Waking up to an alarm is a torture that should be reserved for ax murderers. And since you are young, your jobs are not going to be of the Fortune 500 variety. They are more of the minimum wage ilk, which means more hours, more shifts that take away from hanging out with your friends, more working holidays and generally more time away from that stress free life that you were salivating over. Don’t even get me started on the paycheck. Once you see just how much is deducted for taxes, you will wonder why you even bother.

Then there are all of those things that you were so excited about. College is great – until you realize that you will still be paying for it when you are 53. Cars are great – until you get an unexpected flat tire and you realize that you have to fix it. Living without rules is great, but having someone else to clean your bathroom is priceless. Having a place to live is amazing, except when you fork over more than half of your salary to pay to live in a glorified closet. With every positive, there is a giant negative in the form of responsibility, and responsibility can be a huge downer.

So, are you still chomping at the bit to become an adult? Please, take a breather and listen to my advice. Do not think for a minute that I do not understand your plight. I would not trade my current stressed out life to go back to breakouts, social insecurity and trying to understand the opposite sex. (Spoiler alert – they don’t get any less confusing as adults.) I fully empathize with the position you are in. I see the draw of adulthood. I was in your shoes as well, many moons ago. Just know that all stages of life have positives and drawbacks. Enjoy your teenage years. Even though you might not think so now, you will miss them when they are gone.