• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Christian Bale’s Dedicated Acting

Alicja Bil, Staff Writer

Saying that Christian Bale is the greatest actor alive today might seem like a stretch, but that statement is nothing but the truth. Like most A-list actors, Christian Bale started off on small, low budget movies, but finally got his big break in Steven Spielberg’s film, Empire of the Sun (1987), at the age of 13. This film is pleasant enough for anyone to enjoy, but what makes the film so great is, not only Spielberg’s outstanding directing, but also Christian’s ability to give a marvelous performance at such a young age. Other movie directors and producers saw his performance in this movie; this showed that he had enough potential and led to a jump start of his career.

American Psycho (2000) is a film directed by Mary Harron, is a movie about a serial killer who hides his psychotic mindset behind the facade of an average wealthy businessman. Patrick Bateman expertly fits himself in with all the top people of his firm and the crowd. This character required many different characteristics and details that make him the unique, but delirious, man he is and Christian Bale gives the demented, businessman everything he needs. From a maniacal laugh to a devilish rage that drives Patrick to kill. Patrick’s mask of sanity slowly slips away through the course of the movie. In the beginning, he seems average and fits in perfectly with his deceiving smile, but by the end of the film, you can visibly see the sweat and fear in his face. His transition of personality is confirmed in the movie where he says, “My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days.” No longer is Patrick able to hide behind his sane-seeming facade. Bale’s acting before this scene is what makes this sentence as intense as it was, he provided the right ground for this quote to be as significant as it was.

The Dark Knight trilogy is arguably the greatest movie series of all time. Although, different aspects make the films exceptional, such as an incredible director, Christopher Nolan, an elaborate, dramatic music score by Hans Zimmer, and a legendary performance by Heath Ledger as the Joker, with Christian Bale’s portrayal of Bruce Wayne/Batman cements the entire trilogy together. Before Bale, Batman was almost a laughing stock because of the ridiculous and absurd yet humorous and cheesy performance that George Clooney had given the masked hero in Batman and Robin (1997). But with Nolan’s help, Bale was able to revive the franchise and provide the caped crusader the dark, mysterious vibe that he was meant to have from the beginning. Bale can pull off either the cheerful, charismatic personality that Wayne portrays or the serious, ominous character that Batman is. Batman would hide in shadows and play with people’s vulnerabilities and fears to scare them off before he even has to fight them. Christian gives Batman a sinister, growling voice to scare the enemy into surrendering. Instead of taking on Clooney’s more comedic version of Batman, he takes on Batman’s qualities the way that he was portrayed in comics.

With the help of a few directors and other actors, Christian Bale has made a name for himself in today’s film industry for giving his all in every movie he plays. For his role as Trevor Reznik in The Machinist (2004), Christian lost 60 pounds to play the sleepless character by starving himself until he met his desired weight. He did this through eating only one can of tuna and an apple a day. However, after completing the movie, Christian was signed on for Batman Begins (2005), he had to become Bruce Wayne but couldn’t do that with his rib-exposing body. He immediately whipped himself back into shape for the role. His transformations demonstrate his dedication to represent characters precisely the way the director envisions them.