• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Tide Pod Challenge

Amanda Costa, Staff Writer

There has been a lot of crazy challenges people have attempted over the years.  Most of them, however, involve hurting yourself in some way shape or form.  Why people attempt these challenges is still a mystery to me; maybe to prove you’re cool or just to hop on the trend train and follow everyone else.  Either way I don’t think it’s worth it.  Some crazy challenges that have been around when I was growing up were the cinnamon challenge, salt and ice challenge and the Kylie Jenner lip challenge.  All of these challenges were crazy and potentially dangerous, but gave everyone a good laugh here and there.  The new challenge that has been overtaking social media is an even more dangerous challenge than the others: The Tide Pod Challenge.

This is a challenge where you put a tide pod, which is filled with laundry detergent, inside of you mouth and see how long you can keep it in for.  A lot of kids have been daring each other to do the challenge while others have done it for views on YouTube.  This is very dangerous because you’re not meant to ingest detergent. If the tide pod is ingested, it could lead to change in blood pressure, heart rate, losing consciousness, seizures and even death.  

This crazy challenge has created a lot of conflict with the brand.  Some people are putting the blame on Tide for making their product look like candy.  Tide is not willing to change the design of their product, but they are willing to reiterate the main purpose of them and alert everyone of the danger you bring upon yourself if consumed.  This is probably the worst challenge out there since it can cause severe and substantial damage to your body.  Hopefully this challenge goes away faster than the rest of the others; and if you want candy, do yourself a favor and just buy candy!  It would be a lot more enjoyable than pods filled with detergent that remotely look like candy, trust me.