• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

Empowering Our Peers

Serena Helwani, Staff Writer

You know what I’m really just tired of? All these people bringing each other down. Think about it. Have you ever looked at someone and thought something really mean, or even say it out loud to your friends? I bet we can all agree we’ve been there. We’ve all talked down on an individual’s name, we’ve all wondered what the HECK they were wearing, and we’ve all placed bets on when they were going to get dumped. We have all brought someone down before. It’s not a good feeling to look back and realize you have been the cause for someone else’s insecurity or pain, but going forward I believe we can and should change that. Do you know what it’s like to walk past a group of people and know deep down you’re the topic of discussion? Better yet, you ever tune into someone else’s conversation and hear them talking about you? Have you ever been slandered for just being you? All of these experiences are horrible. Maybe you’ve been the victim of the mean girl, or maybe you have been the mean girl. Regardless of which way it goes, neither does any good in the world. Suppose instead we start spreading positive energy, imagine how much better school would feel knowing that you’re walking into a safe, drama free environment.

Now more than ever, we need to bring each other up as peers, classmates, and friends. We have to encourage each other to rise above any standards, expectations, or any other forms of negativity. So consider coming into school tomorrow with an enthusiastic attitude, and be nice to everyone you see. Support your friends, talk to someone new, ask a teacher how their day was going, or compliment the new girl’s shirt. There’s a lot of things that are out of our control as teenagers, but something we CAN control is our attitudes towards each other and the way we treat people. Let’s do better.