• January 5or drop by N115 to speak to her

• January 5Want to write for The Hub? Please send your work to Mrs. Miller-Hamilton at [email protected]

SYRE – Album Review

Fjolla Reci, Staff Writer

Jaden Smith, actor, dancer, rapper, songwriter and icon of our generation. Jaden Smith grew up with many of us. You’ve seen him co-starring with his father Will Smith in movies like The Pursuit of Happyness, The Karate Kid, and After Earth. Jaden Smith has won an MTV movie award at a young age for his excellent performance in The Pursuit of Happyness. Smith and his siblings are youth ambassadors for Project Zambi, which provides assistance in conjunction with Hasbro for Zambian children orphaned by AIDS.

Starting in 2012, he rapped alongside with Canadian singer, Justin Bieber in the song “Never Say Never”. This was the beginning of his musical career after acting for most of his childhood. He released his first mixtape, The Cool Cafe, in October 2012.

Jaden launched his own clothing brand label, MSFTSrep, then created another self released mixtape under MSFTS Musics label, CTV2 ( Cool Tape Vol.2 ) on November 18, 2014.  Jaden displays that he’s matured since his last album. It’s demonstrated in how deep his voice is, his subject matter, the production, and his flow. This mixtape features his sister, Willow Smith whom he has a strong bond with. In 2015, he released an EP called This is the Album.

Jaden Smith finally released his album, after his own middle name, SYRE, is based on him but in this case he narrates a boy who finally finds his legacy. In one of his songs, he raps about creating a self made movie about Syre himself. In other words, Syre’s legacy does not stop at the album. Jaden Smith describes the album and the film’s narrative to Billboard magazine. Smith says “It’s really just become a legacy of this guy, this kid, who chases the sunset. And then one day, it chases him back and he can’t get away. It really is the story of me coming to be a young adult, and it wasn’t easy at all.”

Jaden has grown to be a person who wants to help society and the world’s struggles in any way he can and uses his platform for the best. He wants to be known and thought of as a person who always gives back, is helpful, and dependable. That’s why he wants his album/movie to be remembered for generations on and to make differences in the world for as long as he can. I think that all the negativity and close mindedness we teens grow up around has inspired him to create awareness about things no one would actually like to discuss. As Jaden raps in his song, Breakfast (ft. A$AP Rocky), “Your wake up call is coming”